Workplace injuries can happen in many ways

If you are physically injured at work, then you or a representative must notify your line manager and document the injury in detail as soon as possible after seeking medical attention if necessary. If the injury is visible, then it may be a good idea to take photographs if practicable.

Often, physical or psychological illnesses develop that are a result of a single incident or because of ongoing work conditions. As a government employee, you are able to access counselling through the Employee Assistance program - details are in resources.

In either case, if an injury is caused by or at work and you are unable to continue in your role, then you may be eligible for workers’ compensation.

‘Workers’ compensation is financial compensation provided to workers who become injured or ill as a result of their work, and may include compensation to cover loss of earnings, permanent impairment, medical expenses, and workplace rehabilitation to assist them to return to work.

Any worker who suffers a work related injury or disease requiring medical treatment or time off work is entitled to claim workers’ compensation, regardless of who was at fault.

If a worker is involved in a motor vehicle accident travelling to and from work, they can make a claim under the Motor Accidents Compensation (MAC) Scheme, which is administered by Allianz Australia with the Motor Accidents Compensation Commission having oversight into the management of the MAC Scheme.

The NT WorkSafe 'workers' compensation claim form' is the only approved form for lodging a workers' compensation claim in the Northern Territory. In the event of a work related injury or disease, an employer or worker should download this form. The form may be completed by typing into the online form or printed out and hand written. In both cases, the form will need to be printed so the worker and the employer can sign the form as required.

A worker is entitled to claim compensation if they suffer an injury or disease which arises out of or in the course of their employment. Out of or in the course of employment can include travelling for various work related purposes, for example:

  • Whilst travelling by the shortest route between place of residence and workplace that is not the worker's normal or usual workplace at the request of their employer
  • Whilst travelling by the shortest convenient route between the place of residence and a workplace if required by the worker's employer to work outside the worker's normal hours of work and the worker is paid for the time taken to travel to the workplace’. - Worksafe 20 Jan 2016

It is a good idea to talk over your injury with your medical practitioner in the first instance. If the practitioner identifies an injury, then AEU NT can assist with accurately preparing a workers’ compensation claim and support you throughout the process. Psychological conditions can be difficult to prove, but as an already existing AEU NT member, you can access a free legal opinion prior to deciding how best to proceed.

How to deal with an injury at work:

  1. Seek appropriate medical assistance and counselling if needed
  2. Ensure any incidents are properly documented and reported
  3. Contact us for advice and support

Join the Australian Education Union

The Australian Education Union represents and advocates for all teaching staff in public education, as well as many support workers.

Office hours

Monday - Friday: 8:30am to 4:30pm
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Public holidays: Closed

© Authorised by Rachael Metcalfe, Branch Secretary, Australian Education Union Northern Territory Branch, Darwin (2023)

Union Web Design by Dash